Thursday, January 24, 2008

Little Tokyo



Spent a lot of time in Little Tokyo last week. Apparently there are only 3 official Japantowns left in the nation. San Jose, LA and San Fransisco. So I feel lucky to be close to one.

Dan, Tim, Simon and I had Boba and Ramen at a famous noodle shop - apparently The Original (it was not as good as Momofuku tho!). Dan made a good point - was it really before the noodles in Asia?



Little Tokyo has a cute village plaza that has a consortium of little shops - vintage clothes stores, sneakers, octopus balls, mochi and bakeries, toys etc.



Thankfully, the anime figurine comes with "alternative soft brest parts in which you can put gel inside." Wonderful.

These Nikes cost $4500.



(There were only 50 made in collaboration with Stash - a graffiti artist from NYC)

The inaptly named Family Mart doubles as a Spencers Gift Shop.



I was the only one immature enough to find it entertaining. Dan, Tim and Simon were not amused. However, Simon and I let out a nostalgic sigh upon seeing Pocari Sweat and Oolong Tea in the fridge (as seen in China).

We went back again with my cousins Jennifer, Christina, my Uncle Randy. We had Japanese Curry for lunch.



They had their first pinkberry. I paparazzi her azz.



We went to the Murakami exhibit at the MOCA.

Murakami mocks Manga.



That is his spunk.

Murakami animates Kanye West's music video, "Good Morning."



Meh. Right? (the track here is the intro version, which is not the same version used in the mv)

There was also a really cute short by Murakami, which my uncle aptly referred to as, "The poop story." Unfortunately I do not have it.

I bought this t-shirt - designed by Japantown's own Jared Leto.



Also got green tea as big as your head.



Definitely going to go back to Little Tokyo and take time to shop.

I love exploring the area. There's random cool pockets. Areas I want to check out: Downtown Silver Lake, Eagle Rock (just heard about this last night from Dyana - it is supposed to be like the East Village in NYC), Runyun Canyon, Chinatown, Pasadena and Malibu. LA is a lot different than the douchebaggery I imagined. Of course, once in a while, it's apparent.



There's no rhyme or reason to why I find a koochy comb amusing, but not pick-up truck balls.

6 comments:

bittermelon said...

god i love you!
i was gonna do an LA recap on my blog, but it's gonna be epic and i'll have to really get into mode for that one.

this is great, cynth. i'm flattered to have my fugly mug plastered all over your beautiful post. thanks for ruining it.

bittermelon said...

ps - koochie comb is awesome. you know, you need to keep those kinky pubes from tangling

pps - i LOVE that tshirt so much

ppss - that guy was so jordan catalano of the now

Ctown said...

la visit - epic yes - i had to focus on just one aspect - i still need to do san jose / san fran! maybe a much abridged version. don't think you've seen the last of your lusciousness on here!

bittermelon said...

you shut your corn hole!

Woods said...

The amusingness of koochie combs are self-evident.

Patrick said...

that t-shirt now belongs to me.