Thursday, October 4, 2007

NY vs LA pt 1

A couple quick, random observations:

- I tried to order an egg sandwich on a roll. They asked me again what I would like it on. A roll. Blank stares. I don't know if lack of roll knowledge is just that one shop or if this is a city-wide situation.

- The girls wear high heels to work.

- My boss asked me to go on a run "right around the corner." I say, oh, I'll walk. Blank stare. I felt like Anne Sullivan teaching Helen Keller a new word. W-A-L-K: then demonstrating on my boss' legs - one foot in front of the other. Turns out, "right around the corner" means 5 blocks away, and everyone drives everywhere, even if it's just across the street. I walked anyway and discovered that:

- Drivers are nice to pedestrians! You are treated like a disabled. I was jaywalking like I often do in NY, and I was half-way across the street. The other side stopped for me in the middle of the road and they had 3 rows behind them. They must pity people who don't have wheeled-legs. Maybe my jaywalking freaked them out.

On a side note - I saw my first "celebrity" sighting. During one of my walking jaunts, I saw Kennedy, one of the OG MTV VJ's doing a link outside of some hotel/club/restaurant. I also walked by NY style - pretending not to care.

4 comments:

Woods said...

Jaywalking is super-illegal. You will be charged crazy money.

bittermelon said...

god i HATE girls who wear high heels to work. it's like this genetic endowment they have that enables them to feel no pain.

so you wanted an EGG ROLL?

hahahahahahaha
*slaps knee*

err. nevermind.

Ctown said...

Woody - I'm reading your comment with Sharon's voice in my head.

BM - I knoowwww, right? It's like they didn't come from an ancestry of foot binding or something.

Stemmler Productions said...

Welcome to LA, where there is not much "reason" behind people's thinking...be careful when walking...it's actually the law in California to stop for pedestrians walking cross the street...they are supposed to be using a crosswalk however...but not everyone knows the rules...you may have two lanes stop for you but the jackhole in the third lane texting while driving may not...my theory is it's actually safer in towns when you have to dodge traffic...